Otoplasty - Before / After Images
As our ears are set close to our head, they get their fair share of attention and play an important role in our physical appearance. However, the appearance of ears can be a touchy topic if you have uneven ears, macrotia (large ears that are disproportionate to the head), abnormal ear structure, misshapen ears as a birth defect or due to an injury, shell ears (a condition in which certain features are missing that are normally present in an ear), prominent ears (ears that stick out too far from the head) or if you are not satisfied with the appearance of your ears in any way. Due to such reasons, some people stress with their physical appearance, lose confidence, conceal their ears with hair or accessories like hats, etc. and struggle with low self-esteem issues.
Nishtha Wellness, Vadodara offers various solutions to fix these problems. They involve surgical as well as non-surgical procedures.
If a child is born with any ear-appearance related problem, then a non-surgical technique called ear splinting or ear molding can be done to correct the same if the child starts receiving the treatment 2-3 weeks after the birth.
In addition to this, there is a surgical method to fix these problems which is cosmetic ear surgery, also known as Otoplasty.
What Is Otoplasty?
Otoplasty is a cosmetic ear surgery procedure during which shape, structure, size, or position of the ears are changed and their overall appearance is improved. Otoplasty is aimed to give natural shape and appearance to the ears by correcting even minor irregularities. Please keep in mind that otoplasty is a cosmetic ear surgery and has nothing to do with the functioning of the ears.
Who Is An Ideal Candidate For Otoplasty?
Dr Hiren Bhatt, Board Certified Plastic and Cosmetic Surgeon has provided a list to check whether you are an ideal candidate for Otoplasty:
- Generally, the growth of the ear is completed by the age of 5. So, anyone above the age of 5 can receive an Otoplasty.
- The ideal candidate should not have any serious, life-threatening medical conditions or chronic ear infections.
- The candidate must be a non-smoker, or ready to quit smoking for a certain period of time as prescribed by Dr. Hiren Bhatt.
If you fall into the above category, you are an ideal candidate for the procedure.
What To Expect At The Consultation With Dr Hiren Bhatt?
If you are deciding on getting a cosmetic ear surgery, then the first step would be to consult a doctor. During your consultation, you will meet Dr. Hiren Bhatt, Nishtha Wellness’ lead doctor to discuss your concerns and whether receiving an Otoplasty is the right decision for you. You need to be completely honest and open during the consultation. You should be prepared to talk about your medical history, previous surgeries, any medical conditions, drug allergies, and answer other health-related questions.
Consultation is an important step of this whole procedure as Dr. Hiren Bhatt will discuss all aspects of the surgery with you and you will learn small details and technicalities of the surgery, understand whether changes or results you are expecting are achievable, what issues or complications you are most likely to face and ask any questions or queries you might have.
The consultation also gives you an opportunity to evaluate the doctor and his/her staff and to check whether you can trust and be comfortable around them.
What To Expect Before Otoplasty?
At Nishtha Wellness, Vadodara, Dr Hiren Bhatt will ask you to undergo the following steps before the surgery.
- Physical examination of your ears will be done to decide the type of treatment. The doctor might also take pictures of your ears for medical records.
- You will be asked to stop smoking in advance.
- The doctor may advise you to avoid certain medications like aspirin, anti-inflammatory drugs, herbal supplements that can increase bleeding.
- You might be asked to go through a medical evaluation.
What Type Of Anesthesia Is Used For Otoplasty?
In children, general anesthesia, putting the child to complete sleep is preferred. In older more cooperative children and adults, a combination of local anesthesia and sedation is adequate.
How Is Otoplasty/Ear Surgery Performed At Nishtha Wellness, Vadodara?
- Dr Hiren Bhatt gives an incision in the back of the ear and exposes the cartilage. The cartilage is given a new shape by either scoring it on the outer surface or folding it on itself and then taking stitches to retain the shape or a combination of both.
- Sometimes the doctor may remove a piece of skin and / or cartilage for the desired result. Sometimes even when one ear is affected the other ear may be modified to give a balanced result.
- The surgery lasts for about 2 to 3 hours (Both sides).
- It leaves a scar on the back of the ear that will become less visible with time.
- The patient is given a dressing wrapping the ears. The dressing is tight and bulky to promote the molding of the ear in a new shape and to minimize any collection between the skin and the cartilage.
How Is The Recovery After Otoplasty?
- Most of the patients are mobile within a few hours of the surgery. Although, the doctor may advise an overnight stay for those patients who have undergone surgery under general anesthesia.
- There is generally some pain in the ear which is controlled by the medications. The pain will persist for about 4 – 5 days.
- The dressing will be changed on about the 4th day and a lighter dressing will be applied.
- Some stitches dissolve on their own but if you have stitches that need to be taken out, then the doctor will do so in about a week after the surgery.
- Sometimes the doctor might prescribe protective gear to prevent any impact on the operated ears.
- The patient may be allowed to go to school or work after about a week. It is, however, important to protect the ear from any injury.
What Are The Risks And Complications Associated With Otoplasty?
Here are some of the rare risks associated with Otoplasty:
- Collection of Blood under the skin: This usually dissolves on its own or it may have to be removed by puncturing it with a needle.
- Infection: Infection is treated either with antibiotics or it may require an incision for removal of collection. In case of infection, there may be an excess scar formation.
- Scars: You may end up with permanent scarring; however, these surgical scars will be hidden behind ears or within the natural creases of ears and therefore will not be visible.
- Change of position in ear placement: During the healing process, asymmetry in ear placement may occur.
It is to be noted that all these complications are uncommon and not all complications would occur in a given patient. Dr Hiren Bhatt takes utmost care in order to avoid these risks from turning into reality.
What To Expect From The Otoplasty Surgery?
You can expect to see the immediate change in the appearance of your ears after the surgery. The result of the surgery is permanent and generally very satisfactory. However, perfect symmetry between the two ears is very difficult to achieve and should not be expected. Make sure to follow all the instructions given by Dr Hiren Bhatt and do follow up check-ups as planned.
If you have any queries or questions related to this or any other procedure, book an appointment with us where Dr Hiren Bhatt will guide you with his expert opinion.