Hair transplantation involves removing grafts of hair with roots from back of the scalp or other areas of body and placing them in areas of hair loss.
Hair loss can be caused by several factors. However, baldness occurs primarily due to genetic (hereditary) reasons. The presence of the hormone, dihydrotestosterone (DHT), in a genetically susceptible man, is responsible for male pattern baldness.
There are some reversible causes of hair loss in both men and women.
- Thyroid disease
- Iron deficiency
- Prolonged illness or Major operations
- Crash Dieting
- Some skin diseases of the scalp
These are the conditions where hair loss reverses once the cause is taken care of.
Facts and myths about Hair loss
- It is normal to lose about 50-100 hair. As long as there is a balance of hair loss and new growth, there is no need to worry.
- Stress can aggravate hair loss in all persons
- Hair loss is not caused by frequent shampooing, wearing helmets or hats.
What is Male and female pattern Baldness?
It is the genetic (hereditary) tendency acquired from either side of the family, that is Father’s side or Mother’s side. Hair on the front and top of the scalp are genetically prone to such loss. It can begin as early as teen age. Initially there is thinning of hair and slowing of growth of length. Gradually there is loss which can be permanent. Hair on the sides and back of the scalp are permanent and are not affected by hormonal or genetic factors.
What are the treatment options for the hair loss?
Your first consultation for the hair loss will involve detailed history of your problem. An assessment of your hair will lead to a grading of your problem. Based on the cause and severity of the problem, you will be offered medical or surgical treatment.
Hair loss can be managed by medical treatment, or surgical treatment(hair transplant). These treatments are applicable for both male and female pattern hair loss.
- Application of topical minoxidil
- Tablets of Finasteride
- Application of peptide and procapyl solutions
- Use of specific shampoo
- Low Level Laser therapy: Here the scalp is exposed to “Cold Laser”. This low level laser is believed to stimulate chemical reactions in hair root cells so that the proliferation activity is increased. It requires a 25 minute session every alternate day for 3-4 months. A maintenance therapy of a session once a week for next 2-3 months is advised. The results may take up to 6 months.
- PRP (Platelet Rich Plasma): Human blood contains platelet cells. These cells are rich in growth factors. PRP treatment involves injecting concentrated plasma rich in such platelets into the scalp. For this treatment, patient’s own blood about 10-30 cc is withdrawn. The blood is processed to make PRP which is then injected in the scalp. The process is carried out under local anesthesia and does not require any hospitalization. Depending on the hair loss, the process is repeated every 2-4 weeks for 3-4 times. A maintenance therapy of once in every 3 months is advised. It can increase thickness of hair as well as can also stimulate new hair growth from miniaturized follicles.
Results of medical treatment vary from person to person. It can take up to 6 weeks to arrest hair fall. Another six weeks are required to see noticeable change in hair thickness and speed of growth. Growth of new hair takes much longer. The results of medical treatment last only as long as it is continued. However, medical treatments are very good in early stages of hair loss as well as while buying time before the surgical treatment.
Surgical treatment: Surgical treatment of baldness is known as hair transplant or hair grafting or hair restoration. The treatment provides permanent solution to the problem.
- The basic principle of the surgery is a peculiar feature of baldness. The sides and back of the hair retain the hair even when the baldness is very much advanced. The front and top areas only lose the hair. Here we must understand that the problem lie with the hair and not with the skin of the front and top areas. In other words, the soil (skin) is fertile but the seeds (hair) are having problem. The surgery of hair transplant, takes hair with their roots from the back and sides of the scalp and the transplants them in the skin on the front and top of the scalp. Thus the fertile soil is now filled with viable seeds! These new hair will get their blood supply from the skin. These hair will retain all the characteristics like color texture, thickness etc. of the hair on the back and side. The new hair will grow, need cutting can be styled just like the normal hair.
- Hair is removed from the back and side as a follicular unit. A follicular unit is hair with its root cell and other adnexal cells attached together. A follicular unit can have one, two or three hair. Rarely, follicular unit with 4 or 5 hair is also seen.
- There are two types of surgeries for hair transplant. Based on the way hair is removed from back, they are called FUE and FUT.
- FUE means Follicular Unit Extraction. Here follicles are picked up with the help of a specialized motor and ultrafine hair punches. The area where the hair is removed, heals with a very tiny scar which remains more or less invisible. FUE can transfer 2000-4000 hair in one session. If the area is very big, one may need to take hair from beard, chest, arms etc. This is called body hair transfer.
- FUT means Follicular Unit Transplant technique. Here a strip of skin which is about 1.25 cm wide and deep enough to take all hair roots along with, is removed with the help of a knife. The hair follicles are then separated manually from the strip. The area from where the strip is harvested is stitched with a special technique called “Trychophytic Closure”. This does not leave a visible scar even when the back hair are cut short at a later date. FUT can transplant about 4000-6000 hair in single sitting.
The surgical experience:
- Once you have decided to undergo hair transplant surgery, you will be called a day earlier to explain the procedure in detail and to sign the necessary consent papers.
- On the day of surgery, your photographs in different views are captured. All the scalp hair are trimmed. (Trimming is not done in female hair transplant) A hairline is marked. The area of hair grafting is also marked.
- You will be given an injection that will put you to sleep but not make you unconscious. The scalp is numbed by giving local anesthesia injections. Effects of these injections generally last for 8-12 hours.
- Multiple fine holes with the help of special needles will be made in the area of hair grafting.
- The area of back and side of scalp will then be numbed and the grafts will be harvested by using one of the technique you have selected.
- The isolated grafts are then planted in the holes made earlier on front and top of the scalp.
- After the surgery, you will be able to go home. A course of oral tablets, painkillers and antibiotics will be prescribed.
- You will be allowed to shampoo hair from 10th You need to use medical treatment for six months after that.
- Your new hair will grow for about 2-3 weeks. Then they will fall off. About 2 months from surgery, all new hair will start growing again. Between 6-9 months all the transplanted hair would grow fully.
The results of hair transplant surgery are permanent. The transplanted hair do not fall off. However old original hairs will fall off. This is not considered a failure of transplanted hair.
Nishtha offers full spectrum of hair loss treatment for both men and women. Your scalp full of hair, will make you look younger by 10 years!